INTERNSHIP PROGRAM for students in the Republic of Macedonia
Project title: INTERNSHIP PROGRAM for students in the Republic of Macedonia
Organized by Macedonian American Alumni Association for the period 2007-2008
MAAA - Background/Description of Organization
The Macedonia American Alumni Association serves as community that connect people, Macedonian Alumni and US Scholars coming in Macedonia with the main point to improves the mutual understanding among people from US and Macedonia.
Also, MAAA develops collaboration between universities, on-line communities, public and private entities, governmental and NG organizations and other public, business and civil society.
The Association through its activities, assists in knowledge transfer and expertise to the Macedonian public, business and civil sectors, and will organize workshops, seminars and on-line communication with Fulbright Alumni.
This should be a real example of the implementation of the Fulbright, Ron Brown and Humphrey Alumni knowledge into the real problem solving in the Republic of Macedonia; the real application of the knowledge gained as Scholars in USA. MAAA with its members is the one that should work on the implement the scientific and technological innovations into the real production processes and real environment of the industry for greater economic revitalization and growth of the Republic of Macedonia.
The Macedonian American Alumni Association is operating out of the established Fulbright Center at the CIRKO building of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
The Association has started to create a website that will serve as a virtual meeting place for alumni inside and outside of Macedonia through the use of online discussion boards, chat and so forth.
It will be maintained both in Macedonian and in English. It will link to other Fulbright, Ron Brown and Humphrey Alumni Associations’ websites as well as the State Department’s website: alumni.state.gov
One of the assignments of the Macedonian American Alumni Association is to develop and improve the network and collaboration with the Regional Alumni Associations as a long term infrastructure and alumni activities.
The idea of this networking is joint activities among Alumni associations in the region for the main purpose to establish activities for implementation of the scientific and research activities conducted in USA and home institutions as a service for industry in the region and development of the industry capacities as competitive as possible for the global market. Therefore, the workshops, seminars which are going to be organized by MAAA for the region will force the networking and joint application for project proposals to EU and EC in 7th framework program and other programs which support networking for better industry development and better economic revitalization and growth.
The association will coordinate its activities with the American Corners for alumni activities and promotions. It is the intent of the association to encourage its members to given speeches and presentation that will enhance the image of the all programs in Macedonia and around the world sponsored by the US State Department.
MAAA has an administrative officer as full time employee. MAAA address is: Faculty of Mechanical Engineering – new building 3rd floor, P.O. Box 464 1000 Skopje, Macedonia.
Why Internship program and for Who? Aims and Goals
1. The INTERNSHIP program is committed to personal development through excellence in experiential education
2. MAAA believes that internship program provides the best way for people to become aware about their future career. Learning by doing and being exposed to professionals working in the field provides valuable experience, a professional reference, which often leads to a position, upon graduation. The relevance of such a program to students is manifold
3. Internship program organized and supported by MAAA will help communities to support different activities, students to gain cultural experiences, knowledge for the World of the labor, companies, organizations and much more. It also provides opportunity for conducting research works
4. MAAA will do the best and offer Students to choose from the following options: internship programs in the field of : teaching in kindergarten, journalism, research work at Institutes, practicing in the medical field
With the main AIMS
i. To provide students in higher education with experience relevant to their studies
ii. To offer employers well-qualified and motivated trainees
iii. To be a source of cultural enrichment for trainees and their host communities
To operate a high quality practical training programme for students in Macedonia in order to enhance technical and professional development and to promote understanding and goodwill amongst students, academic institutions, employers and the wider community in the Republic of Macedonia
Objectives of the proposed project
MAAA’s Specific Support Activities (SSA) for starting – Internship Program for students in the Republic of Macedonia:
• Student internships which will provide opportunities for students to gain experience in their field, determine if they have an interest in a particular career, create a network of contacts, building their own CV or even to gain school credit.
• Internships may be part-time or full-time; starting September 2007 and during the university year 2007-2008) and full-time in the summer 2008 , and they typically should last 4 – 6 weeks in the beginning , but can be shorter or longer as the program develops.
• MAAA will do the best to ensure Internship positions available from businesses, government departments, non-profit groups and organizations. MAAA has already asked its members to help In ensuring interns positions
Since the fact that there are different kinds of internships in different industries or settings, and for different purposes, MAAA will help in realization of the two different types of internships:
1. Work experience internship:
• During this period the student is supposed to use the things he/she has learned in school and put it in practice. This way the student gets work experience in their field of study. The gained experience will be helpful to finish up the studies at the University and to build up CV with work experience
2. Research internship (graduation) or dissertation internship:
• This is supposed mostly to be done by students that are in their last year. With this kind of internship a student does research for a particular company or Institute as IZIIS is for example. The company can have something that they feel like they need to improve, or the student can choose a topic within the company themselves. The results of the research study will be put in a report and often will have to be presented in public and MAAA web site.
1. first group of 20-25 students to start the internship program in September 2007 for the period of 4-6 weeks
2. the second group 20-25 students to start the internship program in January – February 2008
3. the third group 20-25 students to start the program in June 2008 and
4. the fourth group of 20-25 to start the program in September 2008
Total number fo enrolled students in these activities to be 100-120 students for the first year
MAAA - Contact person
Atanas Kocov, Ph.D. ,
Fulbright alumni 2004
University “Ss. Kiril and Methodius”
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Skopje
CIRKO Mechanical Engineering Systems Center of Excellence